June 25, 2009

"Portonians"

Ben calls the people of Portland, "Portonians." He obviously is not from there.



After graduation we made our way up north to the beautiful state of OREGON where we made a temporary home in Portland. I must say I wish it wasn't so temporary. We fell in LOVE! In love with GREEN...not only is it so lush and green, with rolling hills, but the people are very "green." They are earthy, organic, very hippi-like, really diverse, and very accepting. In fact you can walk outside wearing anything you want and you won't get a second glance. We had some good laughs at some of the crazy outfits and the unique people we met there.



Portland is the perfect place for a runner like me. There are trails everywhere and my favorite is the trail along the waterfront and the endless trails at Forest Park. Forest Park is the biggest park in the nation that is within a major city, it is 5,000 acres! I signed up for the FOOT TRAFFIC MARATHON on Sauvie Island, nearby.




Ben and I had so much fine dining out in Portland since there are countless restaurants, all very unique. We rarely went to a chain restaurant. One place, Montage, specialized in mac & cheese. They wrapped your leftovers in tin foil shaped as something...mine was a swan!

I rarely went to a mall since there were so many streets with the cutest boutiques. The $hopping is AMAZING there! Plus there is NO SALES TAX. What a dream! :) This is Lauren, Rachel, and I shopping on Alberta Street.




Ben and I visited the Chinese Gardens.




Just about every Thursday night a group of us would catch a midnight premier at the theater. This time we saw "UP" in 3d!




The Portland, Oregon Temple...Gorgeous and unique!

5 comments:

Dawny said...

Man, what a dream is right! :-) I love Portland. My sister got married in that temple and I was in awe at the beauty there. Your pictures are so cute Brit!

Lisa said...

Wow you guys have done some fun things!! I always feel like Austin and I are so boring!! I would love to travel!!!

Kimi Jean said...

My sister lives in Portland and absolutely loves it! Probably because she IS one of those earthy hippie people you mentioned. Lol.

LaughAtMe-Laurel said...

It stinks that you've moved on from Portland, I'm always telling Bryce we gotta look into moving there...maybe we can build our "family compound" up there! ;)

But anyway, it's cool that you get to have more exciting adventures. This way you can choose your favorite place...and share your tips with the rest of us :)

Unknown said...

i wish that i had a reason to move back to the portland area. but montatna is just as green and not quite so many people, so that's fine and still no sales tax.

);