July 27, 2010

The Yogi in Me

"Yoga is invigoration in relaxation.
Freedom in routine.
Confidence through self control.
Energy within and energy without."
- Ymber Delecto


"If I'm losing balance in a pose, I stretch higher and God reaches down to steady me. It works every time, and not just in yoga."
- Terri Guillemet
"For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on earth."
- Sanskrit Proverb
Portland Oregon 2009...

I stepped into a class of 30 half naked hippis, old fogies, prego women, and everyday joes, laid down my mat, looked in the wall of mirrors at my long pants and thought "hmm I'm gonna be in for it." I listened to every word the instructor said and awkwardly followed along with each asana. 110 degrees was hotter than I'd imagined. It takes more than every muscle of my body, it takes focus and strength of mind to succeed. Sweat dripped from every bit of me...and that I mean literally! Imagine the little devil on my shoulder who kept saying to me, "nope, no bueno, this is your limit, you can't reach any higher" or "Um ya it's time to lay down and guzzle water or you will die!" As hard as it was to do, I shoved those thoughts aside, convinced myself I can, and will, and pushed my body beyond its limits. As the class ended and I lay on the floor in the dimlit room... breathing... I knew why I would be back again tomorrow and the day after, and the day after that.

The word "yoga" comes from the Sanskrit word meaning "union."
For me it is about uniting my body, mind, and soul. I know, cheesy. But maybe you understand since everyone can have a hobby, a love, that brings them peace and a sense of wholeness. Yoga, just happens to be mine.


Ben and I were planning on a backpacking trip to India this fall, where we would stay in an ashram for a week or two and do yoga all day...sigh...what a dream! However that dream will be put on the backburner for now since we've purchased a house that we are restoring. As for now I'll stick to doing bikram yoga at the place just up the street from me, imaging i'm doing it on a hilltop or by the beach at sunrise. Or maybe I'll even try it in the yard since it is seriously hot here and let the neighbors think i'm cooky.


Namaste.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I've been wanting to get into yoga for so long!! I just keep putting it off but I really believe it would help me out A LOT!!!

Kirsty Michaelis said...

You are a strong woman! I do yoga once a week for p90x and I can barely convince myself to do it, maybe someday you and I can do yoga together :)

Mom Moose said...

Sounds great! I'm sure you'll be keepin up with the best of 'em! Heather and Michelle were just doing yoga in the livingroom about an hour ago...not my style though...I like ZUMBA!!!

Dawny said...

I so admire the fact that you can do this. I've been wanting to try Bikram Yoga...there's a great place here in Bend. But I wish you were here to come with me and show me the ropes!

Dirty Running said...

Love it - I do yoga with the kids at night - my 3 year old gets into the poses no problem, my 5 year old makes up his own poses and my 8 year old gets bored and just wants to do backbends. I just try and patiently wait for savasana at the end and a few minutes of quiet to end the evening.

Morgan said...

Exciting news about the house...congrats! P.S. I loved doing yoga when I was pregnant, and it was crazy to see how as my belly grew I had to use different muscles to do the poses.

);