September 29, 2015

Hello, thirty

Today I turn thirty. Yep. It's here already and I have no hard feelings about it. In fact, I'm embracing it, owning it, and determined to love this next decade. 
So, hello, thirty! I'm not afraid of you. 


Some people shy away from celebrating their birthday, but i'm completely opposite. I would celebrate everything if I could… heck, I'll probably throw a party when Finn learns how to tie his shoe. ;)  Ok, so it was a bit awkward when I asked everyone to sing "happy birthday" to me. Lol! But, they sang it beautifully-it was well worth it.


Years ago, I was invited to my friend Heather's "favorite things" party. I was so excited for it but wasn't able to make it due the a fever of 104. (Yes, I said 104, almost 105 and I thought I might die.) But ever since then, it has stuck in my head and I've wanted to throw one. So, what's more perfect than a birthday party where the guests get to go home with gifts!?

My sister Darlaina made the party invite for me (address and phone are blurred out). She is super talented. If you think I throw a good party, you should go to one of hers. ;)



Everyone brought three of the same item, wrapped. Something that is a favorite of theirs; that they wanted to share. Items cost around $10 each. Then, instead of doing the boring pick a name from the hat I painted a tree branch gold and made flowers that could clip to the branches. Each person wrote their name on the back of three flowers and placed it on the tree. Then, when it came time we passed around the tree branch and everyone picked three flowers, making sure they didn't pick their own name or multiples of another's name. You can throw the names in the hat, it's much simpler, just not as pretty.  I tend to err on the side of pretty. ;) Once everyone had their three names we went around the room and each person stood up and handed out their favorite thing to the three that chose their name and explained it. Some of the gifts were a candle, mascara, baking accessory, linen spray, Amazon gift card, soaps, etc. 



The party food consisted of fresh berries and whip cream, italian pressed sandwiches, macarons (made by my friend Holly), and a pasta salad (made by my sis in law Dawn).  The beautiful and yummy cake was made by Sandy, a friend from church, and owner of a Lone Star Baking Co. Decorations were minimal- just fresh flowers for the cake and tables and a happy birthday mylar balloon.




During the party everyone filled out papers asking them their favorite celebrity crush, flower, vacation etc. Before the exchange I quizzed them on some of the party guest favorites and had baggu bags and orange peelers (two of my favorites) to give to everyone. If you guessed right you picked your baggu bag first. 

The lighting is horrible but these are some of my sweet girlfriends who partied with me!

I love to throw a party, not just because it is fun putting it together but because it is even more fun to see everyone enjoy themselves and appreciate the details. Who doesn't love a good party!? One day I'd like to start my own little business. For now, I'll keep practicing, and help anyone who wants it. :)

No comments:

);