September 05, 2018

LFO Reunion 2018

I got on a flight to SLC with my three kids in tow, while Ben drove our suv full of all our luggage and gear that we would need for the next 3 weeks. Let's be honest, driving 19 hours with children is horrendous, but then not having your baby gear and having to pay for a rental car is annoying. So, we made it work the best we could. Our trip to Utah and Idaho had been planned for months now, it was the Larsen Family Reunion this year in Victor, Idaho and we had missed the past 8 years, so it was about time we attended. When my mom passed away we weren't sure what our summer plans would be, and were ready to cancel it all if we had to. My dad chose to have the funeral service and burial in Idaho, where my mom was looking at plots and where my dad's parents were buried. Although my mom grew up in Connecticut and raised her children there, it didn't seem like the place for her to rest. So, we kept our flight and plans in Idaho and everything worked out, not only for my family but for the rest of my brothers and sisters as well. It's as if the timing of everything worked out just the way my mom would have wished.

Finn was so excited and blew kisses at the flight attendant who gave him his wings pin. 

Now, let's get back to the part about me taking my three kids on an airplane alone... After all the prep and the struggle of getting my kids onto the plane, into their seats, and somewhat entertained, I sat in my chair, trying to keep Sweden happy and keep her from squirming out of my arms onto the floor and down the aisle. We were 30 minutes into the flight when the pilot came on the intercom and informed us that the plane would be turning around and going back to San Antonio. Eh em? Did I hear him correctly?  Turns out the engine wouldn't reach 36,000 ft and they weren't sure what technical problems were occuring, so it was best to turn around and check the engine. Of course, I knew the best thing to do would be to turn around, however, I felt frustrated and exhausted thinking about doing this all over again. The crazy thing is I had an impression that we shouldn't book this particular flight and after holding back from saying something because I didn't know why I felt that way, I finally told Ben about my impression and it was too late, he had already booked the flight. Lesson learned! I will follow those spiritual promptings and not push them aside or need to know "why" or "how" or anything. I just need to act in faith and know that the spirit speaks to me. I ended up booking a flight 24 hours and later and thankfully, we only live 15 minutes from the airport and my next door neighbors are so kind and drove us back and forth from the airport. The next hours I had at home proved to be a good amount of time for me to get some things done that I had wanted to before leaving in a rush to catch my first flight. Also, I kept Sweden awake, making sure she would nap on the plane instead of squirm in my arms  on this next flight. Thankfully the next flight went smoothly and my kids were well behaved. I am thankful to the stewardesses and strangers who were so helpful and kind to me, a frantic, frazzled mom and her three kids.

Now that I have arrived in Utah, the adventures with our family could begin. I had a set a goal at the beginning of the year, to nurture my relationships with family and friends. This trip was one that would help me fulfill that goal, after-all we spent time with the Snarr, Larsen and Capson families this summer.

Sylvie loves Sweden so much, she named her baby doll after her. :) One of Ben's favorite places on earth.
 
Visiting Snarr and Trayner grave sites

Petting the baby cows and getting ice cream at Reed's dairy.

 
We had so much fun with the Snarrs at Island Park!  


Mesa Falls


Spent the day in Teton Village, eating at the Mangy Moose, riding the tram, jumping on the trampolines and climbing the rock wall. 


 
Bar J Ranch Chuck wagon dinner with the entire Larsen family!
  
The entire Larsen family (Ben's mom and her 9 brothers and sisters families) stayed at Uncle Randy's Teton Valley Resort, in Victor, Idaho. It was glamping at  it's finest!


  
Sweden's first picture with her Great Grandma Larsen.


  
 Splashing and games with family!
  

 

 
Bear World!

No comments:

);