May 31, 2013

Finn's Arrival

Finn
Finley Benjamin Snarr
May 14, 2013
4:14pm
7lbs 5oz
19 3/4 inches

Two weeks before his due date, and three weeks before our guesstimated arrival date, little Finley Benjamin Snarr decided it was time to make his debut in this world.

And we couldn't be happier.  





Sunday, May 12th, Mothers Day, I sat in the pew at Church listening to the primary children sing to their mothers and thought of my own son who would one day be up there singing to me. I couldn't help but smile at the thought.  As I sat there, for the first time, I had a pain in my lower back that was very uncomfortable, so much that I used my own fist to apply a bit of counter pressure for relief.  It went away shortly after but I couldn't help but think how that pain was a bit of what the labor pain might feel like.

Monday, May 13th, I went about my day as normal... went for my usual 3 mile run and 2 mile walk at McAllister Park.  Talked to my mom and sisters on the phone, worked at the computer and went out to dinner with Ben that night.  Ben had a remarkable day at work-he got 6 sales and we celebrated by getting his favorite food: sushi.  (Of course, I skipped the sushi and got chicken).  On our way to the restaurant I commented to Ben about how my contractions seemed different, a bit more uncomfortable than the usual Braxton Hicks.  I then started timing the contractions (there is an app for that!) and noticed they were consistent and about 5 minutes apart.

Tuesday, May 14th, at midnight we headed to bed but I couldn't sleep-- at this point the contractions were too uncomfortable.  Was I in labor!? So I took a hot bubble bath, painted my nails, and started packing my hospital bag.  You see, I wasn't quite prepared-- I hadn't packed my bags or gotten the mani and pedi done like I had planned to do before labor. This was all happening so unexpectedly, so quickly!  My contractions were just 2-3 minutes apart by 4:30am so I woke Ben and said, "WE ARE HAVING A BABY TODAY, GET UP!" I think I startled him, definitely surprised him because he too, wasn't quite prepared for this day to be here just yet. So Ben woke up and got some work done before I rushed him out the door to go see our mid-wife.  We arrived at the office when it opened at 8:30am.  I could barely talk through the contractions at this point so when she said I was dilated to a 2, almost a 3, I thought--does it really get worse than this!?  She instructed me to go home and come back when I've progressed more.  So, Ben and I went to the mall... we needed an outfit for Finn to wear home from the hospital!  I thought it was a good idea until I got there and found myself miserably walking through the mall and breathing like a maniac through contractions, in front of tons of people.  Store workers would greet me so nicely and I couldn't even look at them because of the pain I was in.  And then... my water broke. Luckily I was wearing black so no one could tell.  As we left the mall I followed my instincts and we went to the hospital rather than going home (good thing because he was born just 4 hours later!). I was checked in around 12:30pm and I was dilated to a 3, almost a 4.  SERIOUSLY? 
I cried. 
It was at that point that I said, "tell me more about the epidural!?"  My birth plan was to have a natural labor with no inducing, epidural or pain meds, and Ben was reminding me of this, but the pain was UNREAL. I said, "Ben, you don't even know, this is worse than I thought!" 

I ended up following my birth plan and gave birth naturally (but I don't blame anyone for getting the pain meds!)  I just kept telling myself that the labor would take longer if I got the epidural.  Plus I barely had the time to make a decision because between contractions I was so exhausted that I would fall asleep, and during contractions I was focused on breathing and couldn't speak.  My mid-wife, Amy, instructed me to sit on a ball and roll my hips around while Ben applied counter pressure to my lower back.  She also had me take hot showers.  I rotated between the ball, shower and walking around. I was so glad I didn't have to be strapped to the bed since lying down was extremely uncomfortable.  The next time they checked I was dilated to a 4, almost a 5.  It seemed I had much more time to go so Amy went across the street to her office for a bit.  I don't think it was even an hour before I was standing in the bathroom, leaning up against the sink and told Ben, "His head is coming out!"  He ran to get the nurse, Jessica and when she rushed through the door she urged me to get in bed. I don't think she believed the baby was coming until she looked down and immediately got on the phone with my mid-wife and said, "Your patient is at a 10!" The nurse moved fast and almost delivered the baby herself.  Amy arrived just in time... with just a couple more pushes he was out, crying, and in my arms.  

The moment Finn was placed in my arms my heart burst with a tremendous love for him. A love that can't be described or fully understood. It's the love a mother has for her child-- and in that moment I learned for myself what that means. I'm sure Ben was filled with that same love and emotion as he held Finn for the first time as well.  I watched as he looked into Finn's eyes, tears streaming down Ben's face.  I didn't need to ask what he was thinking or feeling... I knew.  



24 hours later Finn and I were healthy and happy and on our way home from the hospital.  

We are so blessed to have Finn in our life and we hope to be blessing in his life as we teach him all that we know and guide him along the right path.  

Life is wonderful. 



Just when I thought my world couldn't get any brighter this beautiful bouquet of flowers was delivered to our doorstep from my work.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

i feel for you! quincey was born natural, accidentally. i love the name finley too!

ali said...

Loved this entire post! Can't wait to meet him!

LaddandKatieMarshall said...

Such a cute baby! And a great story--thanks for sharing! Natural birth is painful like nothing else I've ever experienced...but worth it. Congrats! You are a strong woman!

Love the name BTW

);