May 26, 2013

Where do babies come from?

After the big wedding day in December 2008 the expected question started popping into our conversations with most everyone, everywhere... "when are you going to have a baby!?" Our answer: "3 years from now."  That would give us time to "bond" as hubby and wifey, right?  Well, bond we did! -as we traveled, worked and moved all over the country.  In 2011 the 3 year mark snuck up on us. It was time to discuss starting our family--but how? Our life seemed so crazy with all that was on our plate, definitely not "perfect" enough to bring a baby into it!?  You see, we had a list of everything we'd do, we'd have, we'd be before a baby would join us and that list was not nearly checked off completely. I am a list maker and a planner so when discussing starting a family with Ben I wanted to know when and how and everything else.  He just said, "You'll be pregnant on your birthday next year."  I guess that answer would have to suffice. So, I set up an appointment with the OB to remove the IUD that potentially could have lasted us ten years if we chose.  The OB warned me many times that we could conceive the very day we removed it.  (Hello!? That is the purpose--no need for the warning doc.) After receiving such a warning, we were very surprised to learn that we didn't get pregnant that very first month, or the next, or the next... Is there more of a science to this baby making? Should I be counting days, standing on my head and eating yams? Maybe. But as the old adage goes, "timing is everything," and i'd like to continue to believe that.

Late August, early September Ben and I took off on an adventure to France and Switzerland. The first days of our trip were spent in Paris. We stayed in a charming flat, just a stroll away from the Eiffel Tower, on the street, "54 Rue du Docteur Finlay 75015."  When I noticed the street name I couldn't help but think to myself how sweet it would be if we were to conceive a baby boy here since the name we planned to call our first son since the first days of our marriage was Finley.

When we returned from our adventure I thought I might have a few of the early pregnancy symptoms and although it was a bit early to check I couldn't help myself from dusting off the pregnancy test under my sink.  Positive! Really? I couldn't stop the smile from spreading across my face all day long. I was counting the minutes until Ben came home from work so I could shout it out and we could share in our joy.  I made the picture of the positive pregnancy test his computer screen saver and propped his favorite childhood book, "Go Dog Go" by Dr. Seuss next to the computer.  Inside the book I wrote a note about how one day soon he'll be reading this book to our baby. 

Where do babies come from?
Ours... Paris.


And heaven and sugar and spice and everything nice... of course.

Ben was right. 
I was pregnant just in time for my birthday on September 29th.  He was inspired and I'm so blessed to have him leading our family. I'm also very grateful to see God's Hand in the details of our life; assuring us that He is there and has a plan for us. A plan that is better than our own.

On May 14, 2013 we welcomed Finley Benjamin Snarr into the world, into our home and into our loving arms.

Stay tuned for the story of his birth...


No comments:

);