June 06, 2015

Teaching Seminary

Last  year, our home teacher asked our family to pray daily for service opportunities. We followed his counsel and service opportunities definitely came, one in particular: the call to be Seminary Teacher. Now, that's not quite what I had in mind for service! I hate to admit it but when I received the call I immediately thought I couldn't do it, and that I would turn it down. But I could never bring myself to turn down a calling, knowing that by doing so, I would be turning down opportunities for growth and blessings. My thoughts were that it may be difficult to teach because of the toddler I care for each day, the fact that we were trying to have another child, and that we may move within the school year. Well, it turned out that there was no need for concern, the Lord knew I could serve in this calling and that I just needed to put my trust in Him. I did end up pregnant for pretty much the entire school year, however the baby is due just after school lets out. It turned out we wouldn't move out of our home until after school ended as well. Planning lessons daily proved to be tough, especially since I was exhausted from waking up early and being pregnant, so exhausted that I wanted to nap when Finn napped. That didn't leave much time for planning my lessons.  It seems I managed though and the Lord made up the difference, He definitely made up for where I lacked. 

We held seminary in my home, because we had the space, and because it made it so much more convenient for me. However, we tended to be pretty loud and Ben and Finn had a hard time sleeping through the class.  My class consisted of about 20 students from the San Pedro and Sonterra wards.  I grew to love those students and their testimonies. They taught me, I like to think that we all learned together.  I commended them for their commitment to attend seminary and testified that I know that they are being blessed for their attendance, and they may not even realize it.  The spirit can be with them throughout the day because they started their day out with the Lord. I strongly believe that I was spared from so many evil influences in my High School years because of seminary. I know that is the same for my students. 


(I know, I know, I blend in pretty well. Lol!)

We studied the Doctrine and Covenants this year and so my appreciation for the early saints and the Prophet Joseph Smith has grown immensely.  I am in awe of the hardships that they endured and through it all, their faith did not fail them.

Do I, do my students, do we, have the faith that will not fail when the hardships arise in our lives?  Will the tests and the trials weaken us and bring us to question our testimony, or will they make us stronger in the faith, more reliant upon the Lord? 

I love the story of John Tanner and how he gave up all his material wealth to help build the Kirtland Temple. When the saints were driven from Kirtland and had to leave the Temple which they worked so hard to build, he did not murmur. When his family grew to be so poor that they were begging for food, or when his little girl died his faith stayed strong. He didn't get angry with the Lord, but he continued to ask what he could do to help build His kingdom.  

That is a harrowing example of faith that did not fail.  To have that kind of faith, we must have a personal witness of the truthfulness of the Gospel. We cannot rely upon the testimony of others, we must gain it for ourselves, we must do the praying, the asking, and applying of the doctrines. If we don't ever gain a personal testimony we could easily fall when the tests and trials come or when the world mocks us for our beliefs.  It is the last days and the Lord is gathering His elect; we will see many fall around us, but will we stand? Will we be one to stand for truth and righteousness and be on the Lord's side when He comes again?  It is my prayer that my students have gained a personal testimony for themselves so that they can stand amidst the trials and the evil that they will face in these last days. I hope I helped them apply the doctrines and learn for themselves.

I will not be teaching seminary this coming year but I do hope to teach it again one day (when my kids are a bit older and I'm not pregnant). It was a wonderful experience that blessed my life and my family.  


1 comment:

heather and ronnie said...

Wow! That's awesome you taught seminary with a toddler! I can't imagine! You are super woman. Your students were very lucky to have such an awesome teacher!

);